… is a storybook village of winding, wooded lanes and beguiling cottages right outside Hawaii Volcanos National Park. It is located in the heart of the Kilauea rainforest, home to rare songbirds and exotic plants. The village is best know for its internationally famous artists and craftspeople.
At an elevation of 4,000 feet in the vibrant rain forest, the Volcano Village area is a refreshing change from the arid Hawaiian coastal areas. The average daily average temperature ranges from a high 72 degrees F. to a low of 52 degrees F. Seasonally the temperatures vary by as much as 4 to 8 degrees F. The Volcano summit area is usually 15 degrees F. cooler than the temperature at sea level. Village rainfall varies between 100” and 125” yearly. Park Headquarters and the Volcano Golf & Country Club area have less rainfall. Because of these two factors, the area can be cool and wet much of the time. Consequently, rain gear and warmer clothing can be a must when you venture out for your adventures.
Attractions in Volcano Village, Hawaii
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park —Many things to see and many hikes to do, petroglyphs, lava tubes, lava fields, old craters, can even hike out to flowing lava, much more. Plan your trip.
- Hilo Coffee Mill—Excellent local grown coffee, local grown tea, other locally produced products, gift shop, coffee mill tours. (A Hale KupuKupu partner)
- USGS Hawaii Volcano Observatory—Activity Updates
- Volcano Art Center— exhibits and events in the National Park
- State Parks—on the Island of Hawaii.
- East Hawaii Cultural Center—Gallery and Performing Arts Center.
- Volcano Garden Arts—Gallery and Vegetarian Cafe
- The Cooper Center —Community Center, Sunday early morning farmer’s market, skate board park, local events.
Local Restaurants In Volcano Village
- Ohelo Café—Excellent Hawaiian inspired food, reservations recommended, very popular, somewhat pricey.
- Kilauea Lodge —Nice lodge atmosphere with fireplace, historic inn, excellent food but not particularly Hawaiian inspired.
- Lava Rock Cafe—Decent cafe food, decent prices, popular with locals, some nights have live music, comfortable relaxed atmosphere.
- Café Ono at Volcano Garden Arts—Excellent vegetarian food, good prices, friendly atmosphere and service, nice cafe environment.
- Tuk-Tuk Thai Food Truck at Cooper Center—Good food, very good prices, take out or eat at tables at Cooper Center, popular with locals.
- Thai Thai Restaurant—Good food, nice Thai restaurant, nice relaxed environment
- Punalu‘u Bake Shop—Famous Hawaiian Sweetbread and sandwich shop, gift shop in Na’alehu.